Thursday 23 February 2012

tax talk

Do expats have to pay tax on income earned abroad?

Million-dollar question indeed.

In the US, apparently yes, you have to file your taxes no matter what. The first 90,000 earned abroad are tax-free, but you have to file no matter what. American colleagues at dinner today were debating on how NOT to pay, blablabla. I know that in Canada I have to pay tax on income earned abroad. And I am terrified about being audited and told I owe a bunch of money in arrears.

I mean I currently pay around 10% tax in Switzerland, and in Canada, it is something like 45%. If I have to pay 35% of my income for the past 4 or 5 years, I am S*C*R*E*W*E*D. All I can hope for is that what a Canadian nurse who works here is true: the first 75,000 are tax-free.

What is crazy, is that I have not been able to find an accountant or tax lawyer in Montreal who can tell me what to do.

AHHH!

No comments:

Post a Comment